what is "Document Viewer"?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Mon May 11 19:21:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Well, for a brief description of what a menu entry does, you can put
> the mouse pointer on the entry and get a tool tip. On the other
> hand, adding an option to the right-click menu to read more about
> the application would be handy...

It seems like the mouse over hint would be the perfect place to
display the name of the application or package.

So for Archive Manager...  "Create and modify an archiver.  (aka file-roller)"

The Help -> About is not the answer.  For instance, with File Roller,
it displays name of the app as "File Roller".  Well that's nice, but
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the application binary isn't
/usr/bin/file\ roller.  Nor is that the name of the package that
provides it.  I had to open it up and use ps to figure out what the
binary is, and then use it to see what provided /usr/bin/file-roller.

So to me, I don't mind file-roller being called Archive Manager.  But
I would like a way to see what I'm running before clicking on an icon
in a menu.