How to Mount a DVD-ROM Drive?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 11 22:11:16 UTC 2009

Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I hope my issue is a small one. I'm running Fedora 10, kernel
> 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64. I have an internal DVD burner drive, but
> it's very inconsistent with mounting. Some times I have to reboot the
> machine or try to eject and reinsert the CD/DVD multiple times before it
> recognizes it.  Is there a way that I can mount my DVD burner, in the
> same fashion that I've done my other two hard drive partitions?
>
> I've made entries in /etc/fstab and added /dev/sbd{1,2}, so my
> partitions mount every time I boot.  What is the device path to the DVD
> burner or how can I find that out?  Thanks.

First of all, you can not mount a CD/DVD drive unless it has media
in it, and you have to unmount (or eject) it before you can change
media. HAL is supposed t0 take care of mounting it for you. It can
sometimes take 30 seconds or so. (It seams longer!)

If you want to add an entry in /etc/fstab, you probably want
something like:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdron auto noauto,user,ro  0 0

I shrunk it to prevent line wrag, but that should give you the idea.
The noauto prevents it from getting mounted at boot, and the user
lets a normal user mount it.

Mikkel