Can't update F9

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 12 05:00:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 19:28 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Alan Evans wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it did not help. Actually, that
> >> package you pointed to was already installed. I forced rpm to update
> >> it anyway. But the behavior didn't change. Yum just cycles through
> >> every URL it can trying to download
> >> <huge-hex-number>-primary.sqlite.bz2 then reports "[Error -3] Error
> >> performing checksum Trying other mirror." Repeat indefinitely.
> >>
> > Oh - that is different from a bad signature. That is a bad package.
> > Sometimes running yum cleanall will fix it.
>
> The F9 repos were recently (in the past week) updated to use sha256
> hashes for the repodata.  It's possible that this has caused the
> problem, though I am fairly certain that updating from a clean F9
> install was tested before the new hashes were pushed out.
----
I would tend to doubt that. I was pretty much dead in the water with a
system that was setup last August and I updated to updates.newkey and
after that, Fedora 9 might as well have been EOL because I couldn't
update it. I did download and install yum from F10 and it's updating as
I write this but most people are never gonna be able to do that.

This is the type of thing that you can't do mid-release unless you are
absolutely sure it will work.

Craig

believed to be clean.