Skype no sound on fedora

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Tue May 12 14:39:12 UTC 2009

This is a short howto for skype on recent fedora distributions which use
the pulseaudio system.  I had no sound in skype and am going on a trip
so I needed to resolve that problem.  I saw lots of others with the
problem on the web with mixed results so I'll post the resolution to my
problem here where its searchable :)

problem:  no sound in skype.  Pressing the test sound button produced no
output.  sound on the box is working perfectly.

I connected strace to it (strace -f -e trace-open -p 1234) and pressed
the test sound button.  It failed to open some pulseaudio libs in
/usr/lib/pulse... (I forget exactly which ones... sorry).  The problem
is that while I have a working sound system for most apps Skype is a 32
bit app and needs 32 bit pulse support.  So I installed:
yum install   pulseaudio.i386  pulseaudio-core-libs.i386
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386

Then I set the sound device to "pulse" in skype, pressed the test button
and it made noise!

Hopefully this will help others...
wcn