radeon hd 2400 issues?

Joe Kazura jnk at mickey.unh.edu
Tue May 12 16:58:48 UTC 2009

Hmmm ... something seems a bit whacked (duh) ...

While the 'newer' ATI cards (i.e. the HD series) don't quite seem to
live up to our expectations, they shouldn't be slower than a Rage
128 !!!  ;-)

At home I have this card (ATI Technologies Inc RV610) in a Dell GX280
4 GB RAM and F10 ... and I've played some of the RPM Fusion OpenGL 3D
games (Torcs) with no complaints.

At work I have a Radeon HD 3450 in a similar config Dell (F9 vs F10).
And it's definitely whacked! Esp. since F9 & the fglrx drivers see the
card as a MOBILITY version ... in Torcs I can't break 25 FPS.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility
Radeon HD 3450
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon
HD 34xx Series]

  LOL!

Joe

On May 12, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Just for curiosity, are there known issues with 3D performance
> and the Radeon HD 2400 card? The system I have at work
> contains a card lspci describes as:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 video
> device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
>
> I've tried the radeon driver (installed by default in f10),
> the radeonhd driver, and the fglrx driver from rpmfusion,
> and 3D performance basically sucks with all of them.
> Try to run some game like neverputt and the sucks up
> the whole CPU and can't move the images smoothly
> at all. The glxgears programs says something like 150 to 200
> fps for all the versions of the driver.
>
> I don't really have any need for 3d, but I was experimenting
> and wondered why a much newer card on a faster system than
> an ati system I have at home has such terrible performance
> compared to my older ati card at home.
>
> --
>
> --
> believed to be clean.