ssh connects to originating host

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed May 13 16:05:41 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009 04:50:57 PM, Shashank wrote:
> See your issue?
> No matter who (m?) you try to nslookup, it returns the same IP
> address:
> 63.251.179.5
>
> Can you provide cat /etc/nsswitch output? Please provide this output
> on both system A and B.
>
> Specifically we are looking for the following entry:
>
> hosts:      files dns   (Your file may have it in reverse order, if
> it
> does please change it to look like what I posted and then try again)

/etc/nsswitch.conf is completely stock on both systems. In particular,
the hosts line is as you write it above.

That's the bad news. The good news is that after both systems
hibernated overnight, when I resumed them, all of the connections
work as they should. I can ssh from A to B, B is able to NFS mount
directories from A.

Given that hibernate/resume is supposed to preserve/restore the state
of the system, I can't imagine what is going on. I did reboot both
systems yesterday without having any effect on the problem.

Thanks to all who offered advice. If anyone wishes to pursue the issue
further I would be happy to do so.