Running 32 bit binaries on 64 bit systems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 13 21:08:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:51:49 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:23:39 -0400
> > Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> >
> > ...snip...
> >> Is there some tool, and can we tell search engines about it?
> >>

> > yum?
> >
> > yum install package.i586
> >
> > should pull in the needed 32bit packages.
> >
> That actually just generates a "no package package.i586 available"
> did you think it would load all the libraries or something? You
> really need the package name, which is what I need to extract from
> the binary.
>
> I already tried installing lib*.i586, some libraries are in packages
> which don't have lib* names.

Sorry, I misunderstood your query.

You have some local 32bit non rpm packaged binary and you want to
install all the 32bit packages that provide the dependencies it needs?

I fear you will have to use 'ldd' to try and pull those out (which
won't always get them all, as there may be other things that you need
that are not library dependencies).

This would really be the same problem if you had a non packaged 64 bit
binary lump.

Do you have source for this thing? Can you package it properly?

kevin