rsync -

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 14 23:32:38 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I have two f-10 desk top computers, boxes 6 and 9. I use them
> interchangeably and keep notes [notecase] in both. I would like to
> update each from the other without losing anything in the process.
>
> The name "rsync" seems to imply that it will make them identical. Does
> that mean if the source has fewer files than the target the target will
> have some deleted? Is there a command string to ensure I wont lose
> anything?

You have some answers, but the thing to remember is that rsync does a push
(sends newer files) by default, but only does a delete when asked on the command
line. You won't lose anything you don't intend to.

The only issue is that you do need to be faithful keeping that push going, if
you change a file on A and then make other changes on B, you will need something
like git to clean it up.

My feeling is that if these are servers you should use NFS to do the job, or you
will probably forget to sync them eventually. If you have a server as NFS host
that would let both do mounts and keep current.

Hope that helps make a choice.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>