Hard disk error

Rilawich Ango maillisting at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:37:39 UTC 2009

Below is my comment.  Thanks.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Rilawich Ango wrote:
>
>>   I have a SEAGATE 500G HD.
>
> is this a new drive?
It is not a new drive.  It uses for 1 year.

> have you check seagate site for problems with these drives?
There is no info about this drive in the web.

> have you tried connecting internally to see if a usb problem?
When I connect it internally, the BIOS can't detect it.

> have you tried different drive in usb housing to see if a usb problem?
USB housing works fine as I can use it in different drives.

> have you dropped, knocked, or banged drive that might have caused problems?
No.  Actually, the drive used without problem almost for one year.  A
week ago, I found PC can't be booted up as it can't detect the drive.
So I use USB to see what's wrong.  According to the message, I am not
sure whether it is a drive physical problem.  I just want to get back
the data from the drive.  Any data recovery tools available in Linux
to recover data from a crash drive?

> have you opened case and insured that connections a good?
Connection is ok.

> have you tried on another computer?
Yes. Result is the same.