rsync -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri May 15 13:47:45 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> I have two f-10 desk top computers, boxes 6 and 9. I use them
>> interchangeably and keep notes [notecase] in both. I would like to
>> update each from the other without losing anything in the process.
>>
>> The name "rsync" seems to imply that it will make them identical.
>> Does that mean if the source has fewer files than the target the
>> target will have some deleted? Is there a command string to ensure I
>> wont lose anything?
>>
> You have some answers, but the thing to remember is that rsync does a
> push (sends newer files) by default, but only does a delete when asked
> on the command line. You won't lose anything you don't intend to.
>
> The only issue is that you do need to be faithful keeping that push
> going, if you change a file on A and then make other changes on B, you
> will need something like git to clean it up.
>
> My feeling is that if these are servers you should use NFS to do the
> job, or you will probably forget to sync them eventually. If you have
> a server as NFS host that would let both do mounts and keep current.
>
> Hope that helps make a choice.

I made backups of both files in each computer and rsync dealt with it as
long as I transferred the entire file, something I could have done with
sftp. If I tried to rsync the larger file with the smaller it simply
replaced the larger file and I lost information.

What I did not realize is that the "notecase" files are in html:

    <!DOCTYPE NoteCase-File>
    <!--LastNote:83-->
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    ... snip ...

Which leads me to believe that's a format rsync can't deal with or
requires different "options" other than the -av I used?

So I have the same information in both computers but there is data in
the smaller file that I do not have in the larger one. I may have to
copy the data individually which will probably work all right but there
is no assurance that I will get everything.

I will deal with my note keeping differently in the future.

I also have calendar data in "remind" that I need to do a similar
operation on. It looks like I've painted myself into a corner?

Bob