Monitoring...

Manuel Aróstegui manuel at todo-linux.com
Fri May 15 19:32:02 UTC 2009

El vie, 15-05-2009 a las 14:25 -0500, Ron Siven escribió:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>         Hey...
>
>         Got a situation where I'm looking to monitor processes running
>         on different
>         servers within a network. As I add servers (rea/virtual) I'd
>         like to be able
>         to easily/painlessly be able to then manage/monitor the
>         processes on the
>         additional systems as required.
>
>         I'm also looking for a method to be able to
>         start/stop/enable/disable
>         services/apps on the remote server(s)/instances as well...
>
>         And of course, I'd ike to be able to do all of this with a web
>         based app!
>
>         I've started looking at nagios, which uses smnp to access the
>         remote
>         servers, implementing a pull process to get the information.
>         Webmin looks
>         potentially useful, but it appears to require that I setup
>         webmin on each
>         server that I want to handle from the master server (master
>         monitoring app).
>
>         Any thoughts/comments/opinions on this?

Try PandoraFMS (www.pandorafms.com) it has either agents or remote
monitoring available.

The alerts are pretty flexible so as you can define scripts in the alert
you might be able to start/stop services and stuff as long as you know
how to do it remotely (if it's linux, expect would do the trick).
The windows agent has natively a way to allow remote services/apps
execution if you enable it.

Everything is done from a web interface and you can define different
users and roles on it.

Hope this helps
Manuel.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

Electronic Mail is not secure, might not be read every day, and should not
be used for urgent or sensitive issues.