How to Capture Flash Streams - (Radio Stations)

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Sat May 16 14:51:25 UTC 2009

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> I can play this (perfectly fine) using my browser but I'm wondering if anyone
> knows of a command-line tool that could play/grab these kind of streams? ...

I found the following blog post helpful for capturing audio when a Flash
video is not downloaded to a temp file:

Instructions and shell script for dubbing audio from a running
application into a file:
http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/2009/04/19/recording-from-pulseaudio/

The script uses two command line utilities: pactl and parec. "pactl
list" produces a list of the active PA channels (is that the right
word?). From the list, the appropriate channel name is plucked out,
and passed to parec(ord) to grab the audio data.

The utilities are packaged on Fedora 9 with "pulseaudio-utils".

<Joe