if no NFS server clients are waiting..

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 18 20:09:38 UTC 2009

Michael Casey wrote:
> I tried
> defaults,ro,nfsvers=3,nolock,soft,retrans=6
> but clients still hangs

Lose the defaults, add 'intr' and see if that helps. Before you do, look at the
mount with "mount -v" and maybe post what you find.

> the router runs 24h a day, so unless unfs3 dies, or the UTP cable get
> chopped it will be good :D if it does, then client reboot :D
>
> I turn the NFS server down
> Clients hang
> Reboot client
> client cant see the NFS share, but at least it doesn't wait's for it
> I start the NFS server
> reboot client
> It can see the shares again

The odd thing is that I have stuff exported and the clients may hang if the data
is missing, but they get an io error and do their best with it, and resume when
the server is back. It stays up until it fails or a "must reboot" security issue
comes in, other than that 400-500 days uptime is fairly common. Perhaps the
'soft' mount is the difference.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>