How to scroll to end of command line history

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue May 19 13:05:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 12:31 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/19/09, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It's really annoying for me, that when I run "Ctrl+R" to search
> >> through the history I end up finding my command but I'm stuck in the
> >> history, how can I get to the end of the history with a keystroke.
> >
> > If you're using bash, and haven't changed the line editing mode, then
> > M-> (that is, hold down Alt while pressing  the '>' key).
> >
> > Andras
>
> Thanks for that. I'm pressing alt+">" but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Page down works for me if I'm understanding what you want correctly (it
takes me down to a blank command line s.t. hitting "up arrow" again will
take me to the last line of history).

Line editing and history are implemented in bash using the GNU Readline
library. For more information on the commands available and their
keybindings, see the READLINE section in the bash manual pages.

Regards,
Bryn.