E-sata hotplug

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:09:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM, john wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net> wrote:

> After a little reading (thanks for the link), I decided that it was safe to
> hot-plug my e-sata disk. So, I did. And what happened? A big nothing.
>
> I've got a WD e-sata disk connected to an Intel ICH7 controller, using the
> AHCI driver. If I boot with drive powered up, it comes up as device "sda".
> If I hot-plug it, the device doesn't get created.
>
> I think I need to kick udev into action, but I don't know the incantation.
>
> If you're successfully hot-plugging an e-sata disk, can you share some
> tips.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

While certainly not definitive, I did a quick google search "Intel ICH7 sata
hot plug" and found several results where hot plugging did not work. I have
an AMD770 system and was able to change out my MythTV recording drive live
without rebooting... ie.

1. Stopped backend service
2. unmounted file system
3. Unplugged/Removed drive
4. Installed drive/plugged it in (recognized as same device /dev/sdb, but
didn't matter since I use UUID anyway)
5. Formatted XFS, discovered UUID
6. Updated /etc/fstab
7. Mounted filesystem