How to set group of video and audio devices automatically

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 19 16:28:02 UTC 2009

Derek Tattersall wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> It makes a big difference, because HAL will change the permissions
>> in the GUI mode. It works best when running the Gnome or KDE
>> desktop. On the other hand, I believe they are still handled by
>> console.perms when using the cli.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> So what does HAL do if you have a multi-seat configuration? The
> permissions were all set up correctly before I set up the multi-seat
> configuration. How do I configure HAL?
>
> Derek

It would probably be easiest to use Polkit to make the changes. I
use polkit-gnome-authorization, but I am sure there is a KDE version
as well. I am not sure about other window managers. In Gnome, you
can either access it from the command line, or System -->
Preferences --> System --> Authorizations.

Mikkel