Fedora 10 Installation: Hangs at *Disabling IRQ #9*

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 20 09:23:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 20:11 -0400, Yang Yang Hu wrote:
> The live CD doesn't work. Instead, at boot, I get *irq 9: nobody
> cared* and the boot screen recommends I try booting with the *irqpoll*
> parameter. But how do I pass this parameter?

You append it to the kernel line.  On a live or installed system, that
would be through grub.  When installing, it's the command line prompt
that you use to start the installation.  The one where you can press F
keys to see some help, hit enter to just install, or type options in to
do something differently.

e.g. type in linux irqpoll

After installation, or when booting a live disc, you can do the same
thing temporarily, by hitting a key when grub starts up to edit grub
parameters.  And if your computer works with those additional
parameters, you can modify the grub.conf file to always use that
parameter.  Chances are that if you have to add it to install, you'll
need to add it to run your computer normally, as well.

For example, the top of my grub.conf looks like this:

title Fedora (2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=f384f63d-a312-4840-b7c7-c1102fd29857 quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686.img

"quiet" is one parameter on my kernel line, I can add others by just
typing them one after another, separated by blank spaces, onto the end
of that line.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686