Kdebluetooth - what a mess!

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed May 20 12:15:39 UTC 2009

I'm trying to use bluetooth under Fedora-10/KDE.

There is an application called Kdebluetooth4,
but it appears to me to be completely useless.
Running it (from the KDE Menu) creates a bluetooth icon in the panel,
but left-clicking on this appears to have no effect whatever.
Right-clicking on it offers a choice of:
Send File, Device Manager, Settings, About and Exit.
Clicking on Device Manager gives me a blank window
called Bluetooth Device Manager.
Clicking on New at the bottom of this window
does indeed take me through a cycle which shows my phone,
but when I highlight it I am told
"Sorry, your bluetooth device does not support input services".
At this point kdebluetooth4 crashed.

Restarting the bluetooth service, and re-entering kdebluetooth4,
I chose Settings this time.
But that was equally useless.
It listed my phone (a Sony Ericsson T630)
but did not offer me any choices.

There appears to be no documentation at all for this application.
In my view, no Fedora application should be accepted
without at least a README file.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net