f10 install, still no X

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri May 22 17:25:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 10:09 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> > jackson byers wrote:
>
> >> may 20-may21  still cant get X going, despite several attempts
> >> at reinstalling using purchased f10 dvd.
>
> >does sound like you have hardware problems.
>
> >have you tried f10 live cd?
>
> >if it works, that is, you boot to a desktop and all is well, install
> >it to hard drive and run your updates.
>
> >i do suggest that before you run updates, install only yumex and
> >yum-utilities first.
>
> >them go thru what was loaded from cd and remove what you do not want
> >on your system.
>
> >I had problems with an f10 install due to video card and was able to
> >use live cd and get a now working system.
> ================
>
> hardware problem? maybe so
> but I did install centos5.3 on this same cptr, no trouble at all.
> So if hardware, something conflicting with f10 not centos.
>
> the video card seems to be recognized
>

> yes, I have tried f10livecd and it does come up in desktop.
> But, trying the livecd  install I have very similar failure as I did from dvd.
>

> fwiw here is "mga" lines from firstboot.X  from my dvd failure
----
you need to recognize that the versions of xorg in Fedora 10 are very
different than the one in CentOS 5

what you posted isn't sufficient for anyone to help you troubleshoot but
you probably should be putting it all in bugzilla

http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Though I would suspect that at this moment, most of the developers
attentions are on the F11 release.

Craig

believed to be clean.