Fedora-11 No sound - can you file a bug.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri May 22 21:15:45 UTC 2009

David Timms wrote:
> On 19/05/09 20:52, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:
>>> Have a look in alsamixer with the command below, and look for anything
>>> muted, or sliders down at zero.
>>>
>>> alsamixer -D hw:0
>>
>> That was the one. two or three sliders were at zero.
> Frank, I would like to request that you create a bugzilla.redhat.com bug
> for this (check for an existing bug for your hardware first).
> Run alsa-info, allow it to paste your audio config to the alsa web site,
> and then copy the URL it provides in the bug report. Include which
> fader(s) and or mute you had to adjust, so that sound worked.
>
> The audio devel guys have a way to determine which mixer parts should be
> used by default, and it seems it either does not have a config for your
> hardware, or the config might be incorrect.
>
> There might even be time to get it into the F11 release... and hence not
> have people have to ask questions like yours and get a workaround. It is
> supposed to work without user intervention; you can help !

As nearly as I can tell sound just does not work in fc11. Based on three
physical and two virtual machines, each of which does work with fc10 just fine
and without fighting, not a single one has sound output. In fact, most don't
even find the sound hardware. And the change of user interface totally rots.

I don't use sound a lot, and virtually not at all in testing, so I didn't start
trying to actually use these systems seriously until about a week ago. I assume
there are people who do more than check a podcast from a medical support site.

I wasn't going to say anything, because it release is close, and it seems the
issue has been pushed to "sound is a work in progress" status:
http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/04/27/the-great-mixer-debate-or-where-did-all-my-sliders-go/
says it all, except the only option offered is "Internal Audio" on all of my
systems. I asked on one of the chat rooms, and three people said it works for
them, so I guess it passes QA.

Machines:
  fc6+qemu65 - fc10 Ok, fc11 fail (i6600 Core2 32 bit)
  fc9 fully updated - fc9, fc10 Ok, fc11 no sound - (Q9400)
  fc10 updated - works, fc11 no sound (Athlon dual 1.90GHz)
  fc9 updated - sound, fc11 no sound (Shuttle Celeron)
  fc8 ok, fc11 no sound (P4 HT 2.8GHz)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>