NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri May 22 21:57:46 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Stop considering proprietary drivers "acceptable", they are not.
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler
>>

> So imagine that there is a newbie Linux user starting to read this list and
> he/she just happens to own one single machine that just happens to have an
> Nvidia graphics card - are you suggesting that people on this list tell this
> new user to go away and buy a better machine with the "appropriate"
> hardware, simply because Fedora default install does not support his/her
> graphics card. C'mon now - be reasonable! He/she will likely go look for
> another Linux distro!

You have it slightly wrong....

"No" distro supports the nVidia supplied binary drivers since the nVidia
supplied binary drivers are proprietary and nobody other than nVidia has
access to the source to help you in the event there is a problem (any
problem) that can be traced back to problem with the video driver.

That being said....  The Fedora list seems to be the list populated with
the most religious zealots that will go to great lengths to tell you
nVidia is the anti-(insert-deity-here).  And, for the record, there is
no such thing as a reasonable zealot.

FWIW...all of my systems are nVidia and have been running with the
nVidia binary drivers since at least 2002.  I have had a total of 2
problems that could be traced to the driver.  Both were fixed by nVidia
after being reported via their linux forum pages.