snd-hda-intel options in modprobe

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun May 24 00:46:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Ambrogio wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm working on my laptop to better use mic, headphone and speaker
>> (internal and external).
>>
>> The laptop is a Vaio VGN-FW11E and the sound card is
>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
>> Controller (rev 03)
>>        Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 9035
>>        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
>>        Memory at d5200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>>        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>>        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
>> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>>        Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
>>        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
>>        Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
>>        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>>        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>>
>> 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD
>> 34xx Series]
>>        Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 9035
>>        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>>        Memory at d0030000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>>        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
>>        Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
>>        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
>> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>>        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
>>        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>>        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>>
>> With a standard Fedora 9 installation (updated) I can use the speaker
>> and an external mic.
>> I can use also the camera but not the internal mic (that I think is
>> present near the camera).
>> Alsamixer and kmix do not show options for mic other that "Front mic".
>> When I insert headphone, the speaker continue to sound (and also the
>> headphone).
>>
>> I tried to use other models for hda-intel driver using the options files
>> in /etc/modprobe.d
>> whith  options snd-hda-intel model=hippo
>> headphone inserting mute the speaker, but mic do not work
>> kmix shows  mic - front mic - line - CD as input source but noone works
>> without an
>> external mic
>>
>> with
>>  options snd-hda-intel model=sony-assamd
>> is the same but with less options as input and output.
>>
>> Someone can help my to found the right model?
>>
>> Alsa modules installed are
>>  alsa-lib-1.0.17-2.fc9.i386.rpm
>>  alsa-utils-1.0.17-2.fc9.i386.rpm
>>
>>  Have you removed PulseAudio? No, not disabled... Warning, some other
> things may stop working, but if what you need works it may be a lesser evil.
> FC10 could be made to work with PA if you wasted^H^H^H^H^H^Hspent enough
> time onthe config, and FC11 has taken away the sliders. I have been unable
> to get sound working at all on FC11, I just have put that on my personal
> blocker list for installing FC11 on a machine which needs sound.

This has nothing to do with pulseaudio. The internal mic  is generally a
digital mic.
Using "alsamixer -c 0" should show an option to select the digital or the
analog (external)  mic. However, this depends on the alsa driver being used.
The current
stable version is 1.0.20, but Fedora is always behind.

I can select the digital mic on my Dell Vostro laptop, but the sound is too
low
to be useful, and I prefer to use the external anlog mic, than spenting days
on the
alsa development list because of that.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti