Xorg monitor

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Sun May 24 08:29:42 UTC 2009

hi,

Subject title was: " Someone with a good command construct ?? "

On Sat, 23 May 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > hi,
> >
> > Not been well lately, and I have not done much clever thinking.
> > And so, - was the idea without any purpose at all ?
>
> Maybe if you explained what you're trying to do, someone may have an
> answer. I've read your original post about this several times and I
> still don't get it. Try to reduce the problem to its essentials and
> state it succinctly.
>
> poc

I tried to craft together some command,
"strace  -o /dev/null  -p `pgrep Xorg`".  But this could be done better.

Here it will write to /dev/null, but it will also write a message on your
screen when it does so. It is actually this message I found
interesting to use.

What I believe it may tell me is:

a) when Xorg die
b) when a thead die
c) - some indication of the reason

                             --------------------

What I have found is that memory structures get trashed. Xorg seem to write
to parts it should leave alone, etc. ( some memory management is missing )

I am running 64bit AMD with ati-radeon.

So far, I have seen how this little command seem to report when/why some of
the problems occur.

Would like some improvement:

Pseudo code:
loop
  if not "monitor" attached,
      write output to file,
      increment error-counter,
      attach monitor,
  endif
always

( "monitor" being: strace  -o /dev/null  -p `pgrep Xorg` )

Some may have some clever idea as how to accomplish this.

The *important* point would be if it could be of use for more then
myself, and perhaps uncover some of the obstacles we struggle with.

//ARNE