[Bulk] Re: Can't boot after an update

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 24 20:25:52 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 23 May 2009 20:41:16 DB wrote:
>
>> Anyone got any thoughts as to what might have happened & how I might get
>> past this %&&(%$$ login??
>>
>> Many thanks (again) for any help
>>

> Unlikely as it seems, it looks as though something has messed up your /home
> ownership.  Use Failsafe again, and try 'ls -l /home/dave'.  If the ownership
> is not shown correctly use 'chown -R dave:dave /home/dave' - altering the
> commands, of course, to your system's needs.
>
> If the ownership is correct and so are the permissions, still in failsafe mode
> use passwd to reset it - 'passwd dave' will ask you for the new password.
> HTH
>
> Anne

Thanks Anne, permissions, ownership & password were all OK.......But
/tmp was full!  Cleared out the .trash & I'm back in business again.
I'll be trying the varioous scripts I've seen on other forums for
clearing /tmp automatically!

Need to try the Live CD again now &  see whether that runs!

Thanks again for your help

Dave