KDE Wallet - why does it ask?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun May 24 21:53:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 18:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> >> I am accessing mail from two accounts, both from IMAP servers;
> >> but I have given the passwords for both, and asked KMail to store
> >> them.
> >> I assume this means that they need not be stored in the wallet?
> >
> > I don't use Kmail, but AFAIK when Kmail stores the account password it
> > uses Kwallet to do it. Presumably it used to be able to access the
> > wallet automatically e.g. it was keyed to your login password (I'm
> > speculating here) and that is what has changed.
>
> How exactly does one "key" wallet to one's login password?
> Is that the same as giving no password to the wallet?
>
> The fact is, I do not understand how KWallet works.
> I understand the theory, but not how it interacts
> with different applications.
>
> But thanks for trying to help.

The blind leading the blind here, but I was speculating that it could be
similar to the gnome-keyring-daemon, in that if your login password was
used to encrypt the wallet, then it doesn't need to ask. However this
doesn't seem to be supported by the documentation, such as it is.

Sorry for the noise.

poc