DVD creation for Iso download.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 25 00:25:57 UTC 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009, David wrote:
>On 5/24/2009 6:52 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 24 May 2009, craig morroni wrote:
>>> If one can't go to the fedoraproject.org website and not get a corrupt
>>> image, where does one go?  Has anyone else downloaded this site image
>>> and getting results (i.e. the ability to load the OS)?
>>>
>>> I have downloaded the image to two different computers from this website.

>> 2 questions.  The most important being 'how' did you download it.  Windows
>> stuff is very fond of treating any download as a text download, and it
>> will conveniently convert any carriage returns in finds into
>> linefeed+carriage returns in order to match the windows way of doing
>> things.  It is NOT a mistake in their eyes, and they take great delight in
>> having screwed up and made non-usable, yet another binary download just
>> because downloading a binary just HAS to be a pirated copy of windows _as_
>> _they_ _see_ _it_.
>
>Been a while for you has it not?  :-) Windows downloads files just like
>Linux. Has for many, many years. Did before too. It was normally PEBCAK
>that messed things up back then.
>
>> These downloads all have the ability to be checked with a check program,
>> and it could be either sha1sum or md5sum.  sha1sum is several times more
>> secure than md5sum, but md5sum will also catch 99.9999999999% of the
>> errors.  So, check your download using one of those utilities, and if the
>> copy you downloaded tests good, then the burner program should work IF you
>> tell it to burn the file using that file as an iso image.
>
>That can be done in Windows also. I you, the OP, care I will point you
>to the application locations.
>
>> If, when the burned disk is reloaded into the drive, you see a single file
>> of the same name as the one you burnt, THAT BURN IS WRONG.  You should be
>> seeing a directory listing of what is on the cd, not another copy of the
>> file you burnt.  The iso image is exactly that, a complete, self contained
>> filesystem that when mounted using the iso9660 option as the filesystem,
>> shows you the contents of that filesystem.  And if your bios can boot from
>> the cd, it should do so automatically on the reboot.
>
>The OP is running Windows Gene. He needs answers that fits his current OS.

TBT, I only jumped in with the most basic stuff because obviously the OP was
not getting the answers he needed.  The thread is quite a few messages long
now.

And since when did winders get religion?  I did 4 or 5 dl's on my XP equipt
lappy when I was up in MI the last time, and it made a 256k eeprom binary
about 410 bytes longer than the eprom and invalid when checked after I tried
to burn it to carry it to a piece of transmitter gear that needed an updated
OS.

What other conclusion could I draw, when the linux firefox, because of miss-
placed security on the makers web site that contained the download, was not
able to be configured enough like IE to be acceptable and allow me to download
the passwd and IE requiring upgrade.  I had words that were NOT pleasant with
the maker of the gear over that little 3 days wasted time killer.  I burnt 5
or 6 cd's before I made it work, each one accompanied by a 3 mile one way trip
up the hill to see if it was acceptable to the gear.  The copy I actually made
work was the one I pulled with linux after I threatened to sue if they didn't
give me a link that bypassed the windows IE check.

Every time I tangle with winderz, it costs me time and/or money, usually both.
In this exact case, it made me money because of the wasted time, but it sure
reinforced my hatred for winderz.  If every windows box on the planet died yet
today, its IMO 20 years past due.

--
Cheers David, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"hairier and meaner.. you need to grow a beard Linus"

	- A bearded Alan Cox in response to Linus' "cacodaemon" post