F11p Wine?

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Mon May 25 16:09:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 23:51:24 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> I noticed, when PackageKit installed Wine to F11p, it added in a whole
>> bunch of related stuff; but neither "yum remove wine" nor "yum install
>> wine" mentioned any of them. (Yum update wine had done nothing.)
>
> That's normal, installing an app installs its dependencies, removing the
> app again does not remove those dependencies, because they might also be
> used by other stuff or directly by you. They're not inverse operations.

	OK. Come to think of it, I must unwittingly have taken advantage
of that before -- when some app (notably Firefox) gets snarled into
unusability, one big hammer is "yum remove firefox" followed immediately
by "yum install firefox."

	That did not work with Wine in F11p. Neither did my installs of
legacy proprietary GPS/map software, which are this machine's raison
d'etre; neither did scp -r to get .wine from my main machine, which not
only does run that software, but lets it talk to my GPSs.

	scp churned whizzingly away for a long time, mostly with messages
about permission (presumably denials), and endless repeats about too many
layers of symlinks. I finally cut it off with ^C.

	What's more F11p Wine won't *uninstall* broken apps. It complains
that it can't launch the uninstaller, saying "no such file or directory."

	Anybody got a loose clue laying around about getting Wine to
handle Garmin under the full F11? I'm not in a hurry, but I sure do need
that machine to do that job, if it does nothing else.