F9 -> F11 with only 1 partition

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Mon May 25 20:23:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:02:29PM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Dave Feustel <dfeustel at mindspring.com> writes:
> > I'm running 32-bit F9 with only 1 partition.. The lack of a separate
> > boot partition prevented me from completing the preupgrade to F10. Can I
> > upgrade to F11 or should I reformat and create 2 partitions before
> > installing F11 from scratch? If I install from scratch I could switch to
> > 64-bit which would be nice. I would prefer to install/upgrade from DVD.
>
> Unless you are testing things and really want to find all the
> incremental upgrade bugs lurking in the corners, why not just let the
> install DVD do a clean install from scratch?  Backup anything you care
> about and tell the install DVD to "use whole disk" and let it go hog
> wild.

That is what I did with my first install. Unfortunately I was (and still
am to a large degree) a complete newbie when it comes to Linux. (I am
much more familiar with OpenBSD.) Since I did not realize I needed to
create 2 partitions (system,boot) before installing, I created only 1
partition and now, I can not use the preupgrade option. What you
describe is what I have been planning to do if I don't come up with a
more attractive alternative.

Thanks,
Dave Feustel