yum upgrade Fedora Core 5 -> Fedora Core 10?

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 25 21:11:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 22:40 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:
> > Why?, with F11 less than 2 weeks away.
> > It would save an extra hoop.
>
> It wouldn't because he'd have to go through F10 anyway because of the RPM
> changes.

There's no sense in trying to yum upgrade such an old distribution.
There's no guarantee that even an update F(N-2) -> F(N) works [I've done
a couple of Fedora 8 -> Fedora 10 updates, though; they worked
flawlessly].

Fedora Core 5 is so old, that almost everything, starting from the init
system has changed a couple of times. I'd do a fresh install by
formatting the / partition (you do have a separate /home, don't you?).
In this case waiting for Fedora 11 may be worthwhile.

The other option is to yum update to CentOS 5.3, which should work as
easily as removing the fedora-release and fedora-release-notes RPMs
 # rpm -e fedora-release fedora-release notes
installing centos-release and centos-release-notes
 # rpm -Uvh
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-5-3.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-notes-5.3-3.i386.rpm

Also, installing the Fedora EPEL repository is a good idea.
 # rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm

Then you need to:
# yum clean all (or just yum clean, if the former didn't work)
# yum -y update (you may need to remove 3rd party repositories you've
used in Fedora 5)

After this, reboot since glibc has been updated. Finally, check what is
not available in the repos with
# yum list extras
>From these, you should
1. if the installed package is newer than the one in the repo: remove
the installed package, and install a replacement with yum
2. remove (obsoleted) packages that are not available in the
repositories
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor