Enlightenment and NetworkManager

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue May 26 07:20:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM, jack wallen <jlwallen at monkeypantz.net> wrote:

> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM, jack wallen <jlwallen at monkeypantz.net> wrote:
>>> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> Now are you using nm-applet in enlightenment? I have started nm-applet
>> in xterm window but don't see it anywhere in enlightenment, strange.
>
> you won't actually see it show up. if you've already configured
> nm-applet in GNOME all you need to do is issue the command:
>
> nm-applet &
>
> from the command line. it should pick up an ip address from your
> wireless. issue something like:
>
> ping yahoo.com
>
> to test it. if it doesn't work right away i will issue the nm-applet &
> command a second time.
>
> now to make this easy i add an entry to the E16 menu that looks like this:
>
> "Wireless" NULL exec "nm-applet &"
>
> that menu entry will go in ~/.e16/menus/user_apps.menu
>
> save that and give it a try.
>
> hope that helps.
>
> jack

I told you wrong info, I'm running E17 on Fedora 10 - the package is
called enligtenment and current version is 0.16 and that confused me,
and also there are also E16 packages available in Fedora 10 repos...
really confusing.

At home I could probably use nm-applet trick to make wireless work,
but how to make wired networking work with static IP addresses - not
with DHCP?

At work we have static IP addresses so nm-applet trick doesn't work.

For Elightenment to work as normal desktop I see two major issues:
- network manager integration (or wicd integration)
- usb stick automatic mounting

do you have any suggestions how to make this work?

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic