live boot networking question

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue May 26 23:09:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM, David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a fedora live USB stick that I want to be able to boot in
> a co-worker's laptop so they can run a Linux app on their
> Windows system.  The app talks to an embedded device
> through wired ethernet, so I need to set a static IP address
> of the wired ethernet device.  Is there a way to do this since
> the wired hardware device will be different on different computers?
> On one co-worker's system, wired ethernet came up as eth0.
> On another, it came up as eth2.  We don't have a DHCP server
> in the embedded device, so I have to assign a static address.
>
> Thanks,
>
>            David

The easy way:

Say that the ethernet device came up a eth2, then edit or create
the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2. In the file put
something like this:

DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=1111.2222.3333.4444
HWADDR=00:07:F5:3E:A7:6A
IPADDR= 5555.6666.7777.8888
NETMASK=255.255.254.0
NETWORK=143.119.40.0
ONBOOT=yes

The DEVICE and HWADDR labels identify the NIC.

The hard way deals with strange words like "persistent rules"
and "udev". Just keep it simple. NIC names are created dinamically.

See this for reference.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/networkconfig.shtml

HTH,