hardware for fedora

Stuart McGraw smcg2297 at frii.com
Wed May 27 00:45:52 UTC 2009

Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
> 2009/5/26 Stuart McGraw <smcg2297 at frii.com>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Time has come to replace my ancient circa 2001
>> computers with something new.  I will probably
>> buy the parts and build them myself (although
>> if anyone can recommend a vendor that uses
>> high quality components, I'll consider that
>> as well) but want to make sure I end up with
>> systems that can run Fedora trouble free.
>>
>> I'm planning on two identical boxes, one running
>> an Evil Empire OS, the other Fedora.  I want good
>> performance (the Fedora box will be running servers
>> (postgresql, apache, postfix, dns, etc) as well as
>> acting as an interactive development machine.
>> Although I want good performance, having a trouble
>> and complication-free install and operation is
>> higher priority.
>>
>> I have just spent several days of mostly fruitless
>> googling and found large amounts of out-dated,
>> questionable, ambiguous, contradictory, and other
>> not-so-good info.
>>
>> What I would really like is a collection of tested
>> specifications: "I used a Fruble-2500 motherboard,
>> Caterpillar D50 Case, a Dustin Wigetal XZ123 250G
>> hard drive, Sparker T800 800W power supply,...blah,
>> blah..., and F10 installed and ran with no problems".
>>
>> Does any one have any hardware "recipes" like this
>> (or a pointer to a web site with some?)  Thanks.
>
> I realise this is not quite the answer to the question you asked, but
> I'm keying on the "probably" in front of "buy the parts etc." - I have
> extensive experience of HP Business Desktops, which I have had very
> little trouble running Fedora on. In particular, the dc7800 which is
> out of production and the dc5800 which is still supplied (avoid the
> dc7900 as I can't get it to boot and run reliably yet).
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF04a/12132708-12132884-12132884-12132884-81559927.html
>
> You can get quad-core Q9300 and 8GB of RAM and depending on which case
> style you opt for, 2-3 HDDs. I happen to have mine with an NVidia
> NVS290, but the built in Intel GMA3100 seems to work well too. I am
> not aware of any hardware inside them that is not supported by Fedora.
>
> I assume that all the other major vendors (e.g. Dell, Lenovo) have
> equivalent models in their Business range - those ranges tend to have
> better, slightly less leading-edge components to the Consumer ranges
> and are targeted for a 4-5 year lifespan - perhaps someone on the list
> with other Vendor experience can chip in to provide some balance ;o)
> Even if you don't need the recommendation, it may be useful to others
> on the list!

I was planning on building something not because I
like doing that but because in the past I have found
that most pre-built systems used some wacky or cheapo
parts.  However I have been impressed with HP server
hardware in the past (although their software always
sucked) so your suggestion is something I will look
into.  But again, I would like to buy something that
some can say of, "yea, I bought that exact model and
options and Fedora-x installed out of the box and
worked fine."