I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:09:07 UTC 2009

2009/5/28 Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com>:
> On 5/28/09, Sharpe, Sam J <sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andras Simon wrote:
>>> PulseAudio is
>>>
>>> This is not true (and is an insult, I'd think).
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> You must be joking.
>> You will probably find that the people who want to get rid of pulseaudio
>> are the vocal minority. For the rest of us, we don't complain because it
>> works perfectly fine for us.
>
> You may or may not be right; unless you have numbers, it's really a
> question of faith. But that was not the question here. "PA works for
> the majority" is a very different (and possibly true) statement from
> "PA works for everyone", which is obviously false, and "Most people
> wanted to get rid of pulseaudio only because people like you
> perpetuate some stupid myth that PulseAudio is evil" which is worse.

It's of course hard to find reliable numbers anywhere... maybe Smolt
could be put to
fetch some, though (It already reports if SELinux is enabled, for example).

For what it's worth, I've used pulseaudio in Fedora on at least five
computers of various ages (built roughly 2000-2008), none of which
have had any major trouble with pulseaudio.

>> I quite like pulseaudio actually...
>
> Good for you!

I like it, too! :-)

--