Re: Streaming media server

Wendell Nichols wrote:
I currently play my music (which is stored in a file system on a server on my home network) by mounting the filesystem via nfs and playing the files in amarok. However if any disruption to the wireless network occurs, I lose the mount and, as you know, its hell to recover an nfs mount if the network has failed. What I'd like to have is something like a shoutcast server that would serve up my collection over a network connection or somesuch. I installed icecast but it doesn't seem appropriate for playing disk based music collections.. meybe I'm wrong about that.
Any suggestions?
wcn

Use MPD as the player backend plugged into icecast. It works wonderfully (I am listening to it right now actually) and it also have a few good web based front ends for it, plus tons of linux based GUI's if that is your thing, and some good CLI Clients as well. MPD, I believe is in the Fedora repository (I haven't had to look for it in some time) but I do know that icecast has (or had) an oddity in it for Fedora 9 (I haven't tested 10 or 11, but it also only happened on a 64 bit platform) so if you have strangeness of the port for icecast not binding properly, remove the RPM and compile icecast from source.

~Seann

.

~Seann