Streaming media server

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Thu May 28 13:49:40 UTC 2009

Wendell Nichols wrote:
> I currently play my music (which is stored in a file system on a
> server on my home network) by mounting the filesystem via nfs and
> playing the files in amarok.  However if any disruption to the
> wireless network occurs, I lose the mount and, as you know, its hell
> to recover an nfs mount if the network has failed.   What I'd like to
> have is something like a shoutcast server that would serve up my
> collection over a network connection or somesuch.  I installed icecast
> but it doesn't seem appropriate for playing disk based music
> collections.. meybe I'm wrong about that.
> Any suggestions?
> wcn

Use MPD as the player backend plugged into icecast. It works wonderfully
(I am listening to it right now actually) and it also have a few good
web based front ends for it, plus tons of linux based GUI's if that is
your thing, and some good CLI Clients as well. MPD, I believe is in the
Fedora repository (I haven't had to look for it in some time) but I do
know that icecast has (or had) an oddity in it for Fedora 9 (I haven't
tested 10 or 11, but it also only happened on a 64 bit platform) so if
you have strangeness of the port for icecast not binding properly,
remove the RPM and compile icecast from source.

~Seann

.

~Seann