I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:45:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Delaunay Christophe <
christophe.delaunay at thomson.net> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Many thanks for your interest to my problem. Sorry, I may not have
> replied as soon as you'd expect. This is because, after reading your
> response and others, I tried several things which were suggested to me.
>
> But, first, here's my problem:
>
> My PC is quite old. It's a Compaq desktop 5100 with A Pentium II running
> at 800 mHz, 512 MB of RAM and an Intel I810 audio chip.
>
> On this PC, I first installed a fedora 9 which worked like a charm until
> recently.
>
> On the gnome desktop, I launch the "orca" screen reader which I
> configured to say screen content through the ESpeak speech synthesizer.
>
> A month ago, after a yum update, the synth began to drop last syllables
> of what it had to say. For instance, "Welcome to Orca" became "Welcome
> to Or".
>
> Yesterday, I upgraded the F9 PC to F10 in order to benefit from many
> enhancements of Orca and the gnome desktop from 2.22 top 2.24.
>
> As a result, I don't hear ESpeak anymore.
>
> I suspected pulseaudio to be the culprit after doing the following.
>
> (1) I booted the PC in runlevel 3, (console only).
>
> (2) I logged onto my account and issued the following command:
>
> script -c startx
>
> (3) After awhile, I could hear the login sound and then orca was
> launched and brailled "Welcome to orca" but it did not speak. Also the
> screen reader continued to braille, it did not say anything.
>
> (4) I logged out X and then, after the X server was shut down, I was
> back to the console.
>
> (5) In the "typescript" file which was generated by "script", I read
> that some actions required me to have increased RT_PRIO or RLIMIT_NICE
> capabilities. It was suggested to add my user account to the "pulse-rt"
> group.
>
> (6) I did this by logging as root and entering the command:
>
> usermod -a -G pulse-rt <my_login>
>
> Then I logged out from root and back in to my account.
>
> (7) I started the gnome desktop but to no avail. Of course, I didn't
> have the warning I had before but always no speech.
>
> (8) I then logged in as root and tried to "yum erase pulseaudio". Four
> dependent packages were also removed. I wrote down their names in order
> to be able to reinstall them all later.
>
> (9) I then logged out root and logged in back to my account and started
> the gnome desktop. This time, I did not hear the login sound but after
> awhile, I heard ESpeak saying "Welcome to orc". The synth did not finish
> its sentence but it talked. Problem: This is the only sentence I could
> hear. Then, orca was totally frozen: no more braille, no more speech,
> just as if orca was deadlocked somewhere.
>
> (10) I reinstalled pusleaudio and its four dependent packages and tried
> to start gnome again. This time, I heard the login sound but no speech,
> just like in (7).
>
> (11) I finally tried to modify /etc/asound.conf and to create a
> [...]

I have never used orca before, but it seems to be working fine here with
pulseaudio. The difficult part is to make she stop talking  ...

I also tried espeak, and it is also reading file names via command line.

Did  you make a clean install or used some kind of upgrade from F9 to F10?

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ