WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu May 28 18:22:36 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 18:43:33 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:08 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
> > Little Laptops With Linux Have Compatibility Issues
> > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124346723960760371.html#mod=todays_us_per
> >sonal_journal
> >
> > fyi,
>
> ----
> I suppose inherent is the assumption that the problems don't happen with
> Windows and that they are always the Linux software.
>
> My experience with my Acer Aspire One was decidedly different.

+1

> It came with Windows. My USB key and hard drive wouldn't work in Windows
> but did work with Linux. After I upgraded the BIOS they also worked with
> Windows.

Mine came with Lupus (I think) Linux.  I removed it almost from day one and
installed Fedora 10.

> My USB SD card reader doesn't work in Windows so I have to plug into my
> Linux computer to get pictures off the card and transfer them to
> Windows.

I couldn't say for sure whether the card reader works or not - I use a usb
card-reader - but certainly everything else does.

> What the author doesn't say is that he has learned to put up with
> Windows problems and writes as if those problems are unique to Linux.
> They are not.

Just a 'for example' - on this full-size laptop I cannot hold a wireless
network connection for more than a minute or two in windows.  It works
faultlessly in Mandriva.

The problem, of course, is that people will think the author knows what he is
talking about.

Anne