WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu May 28 18:58:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 19:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 28 May 2009 18:43:33 Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:08 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
> > > Little Laptops With Linux Have Compatibility Issues
> > > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124346723960760371.html#mod=todays_us_per
> > >sonal_journal
> > >
> > > fyi,
> >
> > ----
> > I suppose inherent is the assumption that the problems don't happen with
> > Windows and that they are always the Linux software.
> >
> > My experience with my Acer Aspire One was decidedly different.
> >
> +1
>
> > It came with Windows. My USB key and hard drive wouldn't work in Windows
> > but did work with Linux. After I upgraded the BIOS they also worked with
> > Windows.
> >
> Mine came with Lupus (I think) Linux.  I removed it almost from day one and
> installed Fedora 10.
----
My understanding is that it is called 'Linpus' which is derived from
Fedora 9 or 10. It is clearly a reduced set of software packages. It
seems pretty clear that a serious computer user would probably want a
normal Linux distribution installed but for something that is usable off
the shelf, it seemed adequate.

It was however very useful for developing some alterations to maximize
battery life and performance.

Craig

believed to be clean.