WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu May 28 20:22:32 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 19:58:18 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 19:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I suppose inherent is the assumption that the problems don't happen
> > > with Windows and that they are always the Linux software.
> > >
> > > My experience with my Acer Aspire One was decidedly different.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > > It came with Windows. My USB key and hard drive wouldn't work in
> > > Windows but did work with Linux. After I upgraded the BIOS they also
> > > worked with Windows.
> >
> > Mine came with Lupus (I think) Linux.  I removed it almost from day one
> > and installed Fedora 10.
>
> ----
> My understanding is that it is called 'Linpus'

Correct - I knew it didn't sound quite right :-)
> which is derived from
> Fedora 9 or 10. It is clearly a reduced set of software packages. It
> seems pretty clear that a serious computer user would probably want a
> normal Linux distribution installed but for something that is usable off
> the shelf, it seemed adequate.

I believe it would be - it was certainly better than the xandros on the eeepc
701.

> It was however very useful for developing some alterations to maximize
> battery life and performance.

I wouldn't actually recommend running a full gnome or kde on it, as it is
rather slow, but I wanted to be able to evaluate up-to-date kde packages and
help with documentation.  It is serving me admirably for my purpose.  If you
can live with the speed hit, and I've definitely seen worse, then it will do
anything and everything you would wish.

Anne