Can't get updates

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu May 28 21:02:58 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 21:16:32 Giuseppe Fuggiano wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > wget: unable to resolve host address `download.fedoraproject.org' -
> > strange!
>
> To reach that mirror you have to assure that:
>
>  1. You can resolve hostnames
>     Look in /etc/resolv.conf for a valid nameserver;
>
>  2. You should verify you can open a http connection
>     Try to use netcat:  nc -v 209.132.176.120 80, if you get
> "Connection to 209.85.171.100 80 port [tcp/http] succeeded!" so you are
> able to connect to the internet.
>
> That error message says it cannot resolve host
> download.fedoraproject.org.  Try to resolve for it, using
> 209.132.176.120 instead.  Otherwise add "nameserver 208.67.222.222" line
> at the beginning of /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
> Hope this will help.

Thanks for trying to help.  I can reach the Internet on other sites.  I can
use konqueror to reach a mirror site and download packages manually.

This box has been upgraded rather than a clean install.  I suspect that
$releasever is not being correctly passed, but I don't know how to test that
theory, nor how to correct it if I'm right.

Anne