I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 28 17:28:36 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:08:37AM -0700, john wendel wrote:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> >
>> >Only because people like you perpetuate some stupid myth that PulseAudio
>> > is evil.

>> >It makes sound just work, without apps fighting for the sound device (or
>> >multiple incompatible sound servers all trying to "fix" this fighting for
>> >the sound device). No more annoyances like games failing to play sound
>> >because some GUI event sound was still being played when they tried
>> > opening the sound device. (I've seen, or rather heard, that happen way
>> > too often in pre-PulseAudio times.)
>> >
>> >Most sound cards don't do mixing in hardware. A few do support it, but
>> > the ALSA driver doesn't. Only few sound cards can do it and have ALSA
>> > support for it. So PulseAudio is a mixing solution which works for
>> > everyone.
>> >
>> >        Kevin Kofler
>>
>> Strange, I've never had a sound card that didn't have a hardware mixer.
>> And the on-board Intel hd audio that I'm using now does too. I don't
>> think PulseAudio is evil, it just doesn't bring anything to the party.
>
>You're mixing up things :-)
>
>"Mixer" usually means the device/application you use to control volume level
> settings.
>
>In this context "hardware mixing" meant mixing up multiple audio streams
>(from different applications) and all of them playing at once.
>
>Your on-board Intel hd audio cannot mix audio streams in hardware.. I think.
>Some Creative cards can do that.
>
>-- Pasi

Yes, mine does.  Clicking on a link here in kmail ALWAYS runs firefox with two
tabs, both linked somehow so that if I scroll one of then and quit that tab,
the remaining tab has also been scrolled to the same place.  But they are not
in synch when the links video plays, so in order to stop the confusion of all
the doubletalk, I have to kill one tab, usually the top(2nd) tab.  I think
that is evidence that my card DOES do hardware mixing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.