WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 29 16:58:44 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:22:54 +0200
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>

> Thanks hplip team! :-).
>

> But what is really unfortunate is that the box doesn't have a penguin
> printed on it, and HP's product pages don't mention linux or point
> to the hplip site. If I was HP, I'd want hordes of linux users
> saying "Hey! Look! Linux support, I gotta get me one of those!".
> I only discovered scanner support had been added to hplip by
> complete accident when I saw a mention of it in some unrelated
> thread during a web search.

I have had good luck with both HP and Brother. The HP is a
Photosmart D5480 that I picked up for printing CD/DVDs. I was
pleasantly surprised on how well it does photos under Linux as well.
It works out of the box - including the card reader.

My Brother was much more expensive. It is a networked laser all in
one. (MFC 7820N) Printing is supported by CUPS out of the box. You
have to download the backend from the Brother site to use the
scanner with SANE. They also have a program to monitor the buttons
on the front and perform the action of your choice. (I consider this
a gimmic, and do not use it.)

The interesting thing is that if you have CUPS do a network scan
after the printer is configured for network use, CUPS will find and
configure it. You can also use a USB connection, but I have not
tried it.

Mikkel