I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200905 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:23:22 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> I think you are reading it much to literally.
>
> The policy you're proposing (and incidentally, also the Debian policy) is
> that literal. Requiring good documentation makes sense (though it's hard to
> define "good documentation"). Requiring it to be in manpage format and to
> document the command-line options (and not requiring anything else), even
> for GUI apps, doesn't.

If the problem is that troff is too arcane (and I'll be the first to
admit it -- I hate it) then that needs fixing.  I don't think it would
matter that much what the source for the manpage looked like as long as
"man someprogram" would dig up the documentation and display it in a
similar looking format.

The problem currently is some of the docs are accessible by man(1), some
by info(1) and others by grovelling around /usr/share/doc/ .  Instead of
the computer doing the work and finding the documentation and displaying
it, the user must.  Old hacks might know all the places to look, but
newbies sure wouldn't.

> How useful is a manpage like this?
> http://manpages.unixforum.co.uk/man-pages/linux/suse-linux-10.1/1/kalzium-man-page.html

;-)

That is a good example of a contentless man page.  I assume it was
written by some 3rd party that didn't really understand what the program
did, how it was meant to be used etc.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11