I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:01:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>wrote:

> On Friday 29 May 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> And that IIRC, was one of the things in my kmenu that never ran, ever.
> >
> >Then PulseAudio is not working. (pavucontrol at least used to just
> segfault
> >if PA was not running or not accepting connections because it didn't find
> >working hardware device.)
> >
> >> And since kde4, we no longer have the name of the executable listed in
> the
> >> menu's, there seems to be no way to try such stuff from a cli to see
> what
> >> error falls out when it doesn't run.
> >
> >The pavucontrol name doesn't show up because the .desktop file doesn't
> >contain it. (It only has a Name field containing a generic name and no
> >GenericName field.) Complain to the pavucontrol maintainer(s) about that.
> >Where the names are contained in the .desktop file (i.e. for most KDE
> >apps), Kickoff will show them if you mouse over that item. Alternatively,
> >you can use the classic menu, which can be configured to show any
> >combination of Name and GenericName.
> >
> >> What do I have to re-install to make these utils such as what you name
> >> above, actually work?
> >
> >yum install kde-settings-pulseaudio
> >should drag in all you need. (You need at least pulseaudio and
> >alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.)
> >
> >        Kevin Kofler
> That pulled in:
>  Installing     : pulseaudio
> 1/4
>  Installing     : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> 2/4
>  Installing     : pulseaudio-module-x11
> 3/4
>  Installing     : kde-settings-pulseaudio
>
> Now what do I service ??? restart to bring it up?

Just logging out and back in should do it but a full restart wouldn't hurt.
Alternatively you could try opening a terminal and type "pulseaudio -D"
which would allow you to see error messages if any. This is from memory so
someone correct me if I'm wrong as I only have access to windows at work.

Richard