WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Fri May 29 19:52:27 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler írta:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> You have to download the backend from the Brother site to use the
>> scanner with SANE.
>>

> ... because said backend is not Free Software. Proprietary drivers are evil,
> please don't recommend them!
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I have a HP Laserjet 1020. I had to run hp-setup from HPLIP
to make it work, it downloaded a proprietary piece of library
to drive the printer.

The foo2zjs driver also works perfectly, the Zjs protocol is
public and foo2zjs is free software. The jbigkit that Zjs uses
is also free software. This driver is not in Fedora, only in
RPMFusion because of some fskcing patent on the jbig1
compression.

Without external repositories, be it HP's own download
or RPMFusion, this printer would be a brick.

Please, move Fedora development to Europe, so software patents
don't apply. :-)