Samba and Windows7 (a comment to an article)

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:21:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Leslie Satenstein
<lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Windows 7 does not do play well with a Linux network running Samba. Unless
> you want to update your entire Linux network to the latest version of Samba
> (and were not sure that will work) you will not be able to join your Windows
> 7 machine to a Samba domain.

A workaround seems to be available:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-May/148164.html

> Did Microsoft do this by design?

Microsoft's proprietary implementation of what they call the "Common
Internet File System" although it is none of these, changes with every
release. Sometimes I truly believe they are attempting to improve it.

> Anyone verify that F11, or Ubuntu works with W7?

I don't know how to check what version of Samba ships with Fedora 11.
Can anyone point that out?

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC