WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 30 08:45:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:50 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Why stop at printers? I've long believed there should be a generic
> windows driver layer in linux that provides all the interfaces
> of windows drivers to the kernel so you could use any
> windows driver for linux :-).

With all their bugs and other foibles...

Seriously, printing on Windows can be an absolute nightmare.  A plethora
of ridiculous options, and really stupid behaviour.  They seem to want
you to pat your head, while rubbing your tummy, while hopping up and
down on one leg, with your eyes shut.  Any time my mum goes to print
something on her PC, this huge control panel pops up with options that
she'll never know what to do with.

What I want is a standard interface between printer and computer (heck,
why not ethernet), a standard protocol between them (IPP seems good), a
standard language between then (why not Postscript), and actual
intelligent printer design (say, why not, when I put A4 paper in the
printer tray, the printer can see what size is in there, and tell the
computer about it).

Too bloody sensible, it'll never be done...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.23-78.2.50.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.