WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat May 30 12:55:53 UTC 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 09:45:41 Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:50 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Why stop at printers? I've long believed there should be a generic
> > windows driver layer in linux that provides all the interfaces
> > of windows drivers to the kernel so you could use any
> > windows driver for linux :-).
>
> With all their bugs and other foibles...
>
> Seriously, printing on Windows can be an absolute nightmare.  A plethora
> of ridiculous options, and really stupid behaviour.  They seem to want
> you to pat your head, while rubbing your tummy, while hopping up and
> down on one leg, with your eyes shut.  Any time my mum goes to print
> something on her PC, this huge control panel pops up with options that
> she'll never know what to do with.
>
> What I want is a standard interface between printer and computer (heck,
> why not ethernet), a standard protocol between them (IPP seems good), a
> standard language between then (why not Postscript), and actual
> intelligent printer design (say, why not, when I put A4 paper in the
> printer tray, the printer can see what size is in there, and tell the
> computer about it).
>
> Too bloody sensible, it'll never be done...

I've long been a fan of HP printers, but I bought one model for my daughter
that had the capability of using profiles.  It insisted on profiles being set
up.  She couldn't use it.  I set up a couple of profiles for her, but she
never got the hang of it.  She threw the printer away and got another (to say
that I was somewhat annoyed is an understatement).

Anne