EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat May 30 14:06:58 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/29/2009 09:11 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> There used to be an Eeedora, but it is outdated (based on Fedora 8
>>> which is
>>> no longer supported and only targeting the original EeePC 701). The stock
>>> Fedora should just work out of the box.
>> May-be on ASUS netbooks. For MSI-based netbooks (MSI-Wind, Medion E121x
>> etc.), I would have to lie to recommend Fedora.
>
> The conversation wasn't really about MSI based notebooks
The OP asked about EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu.

My answer to this question would be: If you simply want to use your
netbook, you're likely better off using the OS the HW vendor supplies.

If you really want Linux, don't restrict yourselves to Fedora and
Ubuntu, but also try other distros. As far as I am concerned, Fedora did
not convince me on my netbook (A Medion E1210) and would expect them to
also hit users on EeePCs, due to the similarity of the HW.

> but what
> problems are there and have they been reported?
Most of them are of general nature.

In decreasing severity:
1) No usable WLAN driver.
2) New in F11: Various very hard to identify/isolate issues related to
dbus, acpi, etc.
3) Many issues related to low-level, near-HW-SW (intel-X11, touchpad
(disabled by default in F11, ...), sound (alsa/pulseaudio), networking
(NetworkManager))
4) Most desktop applications are not designed for usage on small displays.
5) Fedora's standard (gnome) desktop is _fat_ and bloated.

Fact is, I am still searching for a usable Linux distro, but haven't
found any. I.e. for the first time in more than 15 years, I have not be
been able to avoid to resorting to using Windows for "serious usage".

Ralf