I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 30 15:14:32 UTC 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Friday 29 May 2009, Pat Kane wrote:
>> >Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > And the last time I looked, a bit over a month ago, there was no hint of
>>
>>Let me Google that for you:
>>    <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pulse+audio>
>>gets us to:
>>    <http://www.pulseaudio.org/>
>>which pointed us to:
>>    <http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pavucontrol/>
>>
>>Pat
>>---
>
>BTDT.  Wasn't interested enough in advertising crap to buy the T-shirt.
>
>And this latter link contains squat about how to set it up, and whats
> required to make it work.  To quote from it: "Works perfectly".  And it is
> even referred to as the Pulse Audio Volume Control.  No claims that it is
> THE configuration tool.
>
>So I reinstalled it, as stated in a previous message, with so far zero
> effect.
>
>Do I have to restart X?, reboot?, locate a virgin (there is a very short
>supply of them in my age category hereabouts, I'd go so far as to say they
> are pure unobtainium) to sacrifice?
>
>But I think the best question of all is:
>
>Why can't all of this audio crap have a 'service audio restart'? function?

I've since rebooted, trying a different kernel build not related to this.

On the reboot, it logged:
May 30 10:02:11 coyote pulseaudio[4417]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback
mixer control "PCM" or mixer control is no combination of switch/volume.
May 30 10:02:11 coyote pulseaudio[4417]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback
mixer control "Mic" or mixer control is no combination of switch/volume.

So this may explain by inference what isn't right.  Clues please.

And xinetd is going crazy, saying it reconfiguring my amanda services:
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: Starting reconfiguration
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: Swapping defaults
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: readjusting service amanda
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: readjusting service amandaidx
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: readjusting service amidxtape
May 30 10:25:20 coyote xinetd[2388]: Reconfigured: new=0 old=3 dropped=0
(services)

That is the last of about 100 stanza's of that in the messages log, never
before seen.

Now everything but padevchooser runs.  From the web pages, it needs avahi and
that is also running.  But when run, it outputs nothing, and logs nothing, it
just sits there.  A ctrl+c returns the shell prompt instantly.  Anybody have a
clue as to whats wrong there?

In paprefs (I had to reinstall several other pieces to get everything the web
page mentions) it now shows 2 hardware output channels and 2 hardware input
channels, finding the HDINTEL stuff I don't use first.  Marked as default but
I moved the check marks to the audigy 2 hardware in both cases, and turned the
volume on the audigy 2 up to 480%, and now I have the pling of incoming mail
from kde audible at a low level.

I think the only reason I have any audio is because I have that virtual device
that links all outputs enabled. I just unchecked that to see if I lose my
audio.

Yup, AFU.  On cnn, I get white noise at speaker and hearing destroying levels,
not controllable by ANY volume control slider except the one below the playing
video, and that is essentially a mute button when its moved ALL the way left.
One pixel up and my speaker cones are being shredded by white noise from an
unknown src.

How do I totally make it use the AC97 stuff as the secondary channel, not the
primary?

I would like to eventually use the AC97 stuff on the mobo for skype or other
internet telephone use.

I think I'll remove it this evening and reboot again (hell of a way to run a
^%$ train IMO) if no one has good ideas to offer.  Right now I'm going up up
one of the neighbors with my sawzall, a 3 pound mall, & etc and help him
replace a very crooked post in his back deck.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You have an unusual equipment for success.  Be sure to use it properly.